Cowspiracy

Enrique and I watched Cowspiracy the other night and were mind blown. I really thought I knew so much about the benefits of living a plant-base lifestyle. Like how limiting your intake of animal based products and replacing them with fruits, veggies, lagoons and single ingredient whole foods could lead to weight loss, hypertension control, hearth health and even skin care. But I didn't know that eating even small and limited portions of cheese or organic, grass-fed beef contributes to global warming. 


Here's some facts from the website that hit me hard, you can find more at cowspiracy.com/facts
  • Agriculture is responsible for 80-90% of US water consumption. 
  • Growing feed crops for livestock consumes 56% of water in the US. 
  • 2,500 gallons of water are needed to produce 1 pound of beef. 
  • 5% of water consumed in the US is by private homes. 56% of water consumed in the US is for Animal Agriculture.
  • Animal agriculture is the leading cause of species extinction, ocean dead zones, water pollution, and habitat destruction. 
Before I watched this movie, I felt like if I ate animal based products on occasion, that it would only do a disservice to my personal health. I also thought I was being responsible by purchasing only step-rated, grass-fed beef and that the animals weren't treated inhumanly that way. But I didn't know that they were nocking down rainforests and killing our natural habitats in that process.

Unfortunately, this is the world we live in today. Enrique and I are still confused and upset. We both like to indulge in a slice of pizza with real cheese once in a while, but now thats like saying I like to chop down rainforests once in a while!

I guess all I'm really trying to say is that we are even more inspired to eat our fruits and veggies now than we were before - to help save rainforests, one plate at a time! Together, we can make a difference. 

Comments

Popular Posts