Sweet Breakfast Quinoa

I often forget how yummy quinoa is as a breakfast grain. I eat tons of it as a savory dish in salads and sides, but it's just as delishious for breakfast, and so versatile.

For this dish I just combined a bunch of ingredients I already had on hand, but you can spice this warm cereal up to your liking - the flavor combinations are endless. 


Sweet Breakfast Quinoa with Cardamom and Vanilla 
By Sarah Farsh October 13, 2013

  • 1 cup cooked quinoa 
  • 1 tbsp walnuts
  • 1 tbsp hemp seeds
  • 1 tbsp goji berries
  • 1 tbsp mulberries 
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract or bean
  • 2 tbsp honey or maple syrup 
  • pinch of cardamom (about 1/2 tsp)
  • 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
In a small pot, cook quinoa following package directions. It's one cup water to 1/2 cup quinoa. I like to lightly toast my quinoa prior to boiling, it brings out it's nutty flavor. I then bring the quinoa and water to a boil and turn the heat off immediately. Then put the lid on top and leave it be for about 15 minutes, I find it comes out most fluffy this way. Note: You can also boil your quinoa in almond milk instead of water for a richer flavor. After quinoa is cooked, add in your honey or syrup, vanilla and cardamom. Mix well. Poor into a bowl and top with remainder ingredients, or your favorite toppings. 

Comments

Popular Posts