Dinner for Mommy & Me

My mom is a really special lady. I've always looked up to her with great appreciation, but even more so ever since I moved out and have become more independent. We've built this new friendship together and I get to know her more and more each time I see her. The other night, She came over for dinner and we started talking about old times when David and I were younger growing up in Manhattan. We dug up these pictures from the 80's of my mom and I swinging in the park - these are my favorite photos of us.




These pictures completely capture the beauty of our relationship and of course, NYC playgrounds!


Before my mom came over for dinner the other night, I FINALLY got her to come with me to Kitty's yoga class. I'm putting extra emphases on the "finally" part because I have been trying to get her to come for 2 years now. It was worth the wait, I knew she would love it, and who doesn't need some yoga in their life?


After some serious stretching, breathing and gigging in yoga, we continued the fun by meeting at my place for dinner. I decided to keep dinner quick, easy and light. To start, I served Watercress Cherry and Pecan Salad. I almost always make salads using arugula mainly because that's really my favorite salad green. I thought it's time to switch things up a bit, so I turned to watercress. Watercress is super refreshing and crisp with a hint of radish characteristics. I served the watercress salad with an Avocado Orange Dressing.



For our main course, I served some lightly steamed curly kale, broccoli, portobello mushrooms, spiced garbanzo beans and these beautiful multi-colored baby potatoes that look flower petals to me. I whipped up a quick tahini dressing to drizzle on top of our platter. It was a super quick and easy meal that was satisfying and really delicious. It was a perfect night for Mommy and Me.






Watercress Cherry Pecan Salad with Avocado Orange Dressing
By Sarah Farsh April 16, 2012

  • 1 bunch watercress
  • 1/4 cup dried cherries, sweetened with fruit juice - not sugar
  • 1/4 cup chopped pecans
  • 1 ripe avocado
  • 2 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
  • 2 tbsp rice vinegar
  • 1 tbsp water, more if you want dressing thinner.
In a large bowl, mash and whisk avocado, orange juice, vinegar and water together until smooth. Add watercress, cherries and pecans - toss well. 


Steamed Kale, Broccoli, Portobello Mushrooms and Baby Potatoes with Spiced Garbanzo Beans and Tahini Dressing
By Sarah Farsh April 16, 2012

  • 1 bunch curly kale, bottoms removed
  • 1 head of broccoli, cut into florets
  • 2 whole portobello mushrooms
  • 1 tsp low sodium soy sauce
  • 1 bag colored baby potatoes, sliced in half
  • 2 cans garbanzo beans, unsalted (or make your own)
  • 1 tsp turmeric
  • 1 tsp chili flakes (keep out if your a baby)
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 2 tbsp tahini paste
  • 1 tbsp miso paste
  • 2 tbsp rice vinegar
  • 1 tbsp parsley, minced
  • 2 tbsp water, add more if you want a lighter dressing
In a steamer or a large pan, steam kale, broccoli, mushrooms and potatoes for 10 minutes (you will need to add a tinny bit of water to steam). Drizzle soy sauce on top of mushrooms before steaming. In a small pot, warm up garbanzo beans, and stir in turmeric, chili flakes and garlic powder. Whisk tahini, miso, rice vinegar, parsley and water together and drizzle on top of veggies when ready to serve. 

Comments

  1. I loved this post.. the recipe and the lovely pictures. Your blog is not only YUMMY but so enjoyable to read.. and to experience when I cook it myself :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts