I usually start my mornings off with some variation of oats and fruit along with a green smoothie. It's important to enjoy what you eat and come up with new and exciting flavors to cook with. Today I chose to make a coconut and rasberry porrige. I just think that "porridge" sounds more appetizing than "oatmeal", but they are one in the same. You can call it whatever you like, it's simply delicious.
Before I boil my oats, I like to toast them very lightly to bring out their earthy flavor. I also toasted my coconut along with the oats. *be careful not to burn, cook on low heat and keep an eye on them.
I didn't happen to have any fresh berries in my fridge today, so I used frozen raspberries. They work just as well as fresh, and you can use any berry of choice. (I made a mess)
Coconut Raspberry Porridge
by Sarah Farsh, March 3 2012
- 1/2 cup steal cut oats (oatmeal, unprocessed)
- 1 cup unsweetened soy milk (or non dairy milk of choice)
- 1/4 cup dried shredded coconut (unsweetened, ingredients should just say "coconut.")
- 1/2 cup frozen raspberries (or fresh, berries of choice)
- 1 tsp honey (or maple syrup)
- 1 heaping tsp ground flax seed