Anything You've Got, Coconut Curry

As much of a nice time I had in Vermont, it feels really good to be back in my own kitchen. I ended up coming back home with a reusable bag filled with leftover veggies, so I wanted to do something with them before they went bad.

This is what I had leftover.


I also had a piece of fresh turmeric that my friend Tracy gifted me. Since I grew up eating a lot of Persian food, I'm used to having foods cooked with turmeric powder. Also used to my dad giving me turmeric powder by the spoonfuls to cure the common cold (yuck) and turmeric mixed with eggs for a paste that apparently cures sprained ankles (gross). Discovering fresh turmeric was a great day for my dad and I. It's very similar looking to ginger, but has it's distinct turmeric flavor. You would use it just as you would ginger, and it's great blended into fresh juice.



I thought curry would be yummy to make with the veggies I had on hand. I had curry powder and coconut milk in my pantry. Although coconut is a whole food, I try not to use too much of it in my recipes because coconut is naturally high in saturated fat. I made an exception for my curry recipe, and I don't feel bad about that decision one bit. You could leave it out if you are concerned about the fat and could replace it with soy milk or another non dairy milk of choice.



The point of this recipe is to use anything you've got already on hand. All the odds and ends of veggies you have leftover in your fridge that you may have dumped out if you couldn't think of what to do with them in time. You'll be giving your veggies a second life and reaping the benefits!

Coconut Curry
by Sarah Farsh March 15, 2012

  • 1/2 bunch kale, chopped
  • 1 bunch broccoli, chopped
  • 1/2 eggplant, peeled and chopped
  • 1/2 kabocha squash, peeled, seeded and chopped
  • 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 2 tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 pack baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 zucchini, chopped
  • juice from one lime
  • 2 jalapenos, sliced (leave out if your a baby)
  • 1 teaspoon fresh turmeric
  • 1 can coconut milk, unsweetened
  • 2 cups vegetable stock
  • 1-2 tbsp curry powder
  • 1 tsp mustard seeds
  • fresh cilantro, for garnish
In a large pot, lightly toast mustard seeds. Add in onions and dry sauté until soft. Add in squash and a splash of veggie stock, cook with lid on for 10min. Add in the rest of the ingredients (besides cilantro) and cook for 10min. Serve with grain of choice, I used quinoa. Garnish with chopped cilantro. 

Comments

Popular Posts