You're gonna phockin' love this vegan/vegetarian version of Pho.
I promise you won't miss the meat that you'd find in the traditional Vietnamese version...
by Sarah Farsh November 28, 2013
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced thin
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon grass, sliced thin
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 2 cups baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tbsp scallions, sliced
- 3 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tbsp red miso paste
- 1 box brown rice Pho noodles (it's up to you how much noodles you want)
- 2 cups broccoli florets (optional)
- 4-5 cups water (more or less depending how much broth you want)
- avocado slices
- shredded carrot
- cilantro leaves
- fresh lime slices (to squeeze into soup)
- fresh basil leaves
- fresh jalapeno, sliced
In a large soup pot, dry saute onions. Add lemon grass, ginger, mushrooms, scallions, tamari and water. Bring to a boil. Once boiled, lower heat to medium/low and add in miso paste, pho noodles and optional broccoli. Cook on low until pasta is cooked - about 7 minutes. Serve some noodles and broth into a bowl, and top with some or all of the fresh toppings!