I made this dish in my hotel room. This veggie packed pasta sauce is a perfect complete meal! Stewing your veggies in a sauce like this is another great way to reap all the nutrients and phytochemicals from your veggies. You can enjoy this sauce like I did with gluten-free pasta shells, or with your favorite pasta veriety. It's also a perfect dish for a picky eater.
Pasta Shells with Eggplant Mushroom Tomato Sauce
by Sarah Farsh September 15th, 2013
- 4 cups cooked brown rice pasta shells (approx one bag)
- 1 tbsp minced garlic, or garlic powder
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 cup baby portobello mushrooms, diced
- 1/2 eggplant, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup crushed or pureed canned tomatoes
- 1 tbsp fresh basil
- salt/pepper/red chili flakes to taste
In a large pot, saute garlic, tomatoes, mushrooms, eggplant and crushed tomatoes together until simmering. Add fresh basil and spices, and toss pasta lightly into sauce. I ended up throwing in some fresh spinach at the end - it was a great addition!