Pumpkin Fest

It's that time of the year, for pumpkin flavored everything. 


And I'm a proud supporter. 
I got a very special treat from my CSA this week, a Local Long Island Cheese Pumpkin


What's that you say!? Don't worry, there's no actual cheese inside. It's just a beautiful looking pumpkin that resembles a wheel of cheese. It's a perfect pumpkin for pies and for baking with.
The flavor and consistency is pretty similar to a butternut squash - with a sweeter, more pumpkiny flavor. Like other variations of pumpkins and squashes, these are nutrient rich and high in
beta carotene.


I have to say that I was really excited to receive this pumpkin. It's hard to come by, and is only around for a short season. My pumpkin was so big that I divided it into 4 pie shape slices - giving me an opportunity to create 4 completely different dishes. I plan on exploring with different spices and cooking techniques to really get to enjoy all this pumpkin has to offer.

With my first piece, I decided to make a simple vegetable medley roast.


Roasted Pumpkin and Seasonal Vegetable Medley
  • 1/4 of a Long Island Cheese Pumpkin, peeled, seeded and cubed. You may use a butternut squash if you can't get your hands on one of these pumpkins.
  • 1 bell pepper - any color, cut into 2 inch pieces
  • 1 onion, quartered
  • 1 cup fennel, finely chopped
  • 1/2 head broccoli, floret
  • 1 cup baby kale
  • 2 small yellow potatoes, cubed
  • 1 tsp chili flakes
  • salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 475. In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients together. You can add a teaspoon of good olive oil if you are not worried about the fat. Transfer the vegetable mixture into an oven safe pan or cast iron. Cook for 45min and give the veggies a quick stir. Cook for an additional 20min or until pumpkin/squash is soft to the touch of a fork. If you're a meat eater, this medley goes great with some slices of sausage mixed in. You could use tofu sausage if you'd like to give it a try!

More pumpkin recipes to come... 

Comments

Popular Posts