Baba's Birthday

Last night we celebrated my Baba's birthday, I think he turned 55 years old. My brother and I originally wanted to take him out to Mamouns for dinner - it's his favorite falafel joint on the planet. Baba asked if we could all come over to his house to barbecue for dinner instead. I was happy with that! I just recently got my mom a VitaMix for her birthday, so I knew I could make something using it for the barbecue.


Baba always has a pot of fresh cooked beans in the fridge. Last night he had garbanzo beans ready made, so I decide to make a huge thing of Sundried Tomato Hummus.




Since the guys were already barbecuing, I figured I could have them barbecue some veggies for my my Grilled Vegetable Salad.




I whipped up a quick Fat Free Vegan Chocolate Mousse (straight from the Engine 2 Diet Cookbook by Rip Esselstyn) for dessert with Fresh Berries, which I unfortunately don't have pictures of. I'm sorry. It's something I often make since it's so quick and easy to whip up, so look out for a photo of it soon. I tend to add more cocoa powder than he calls for... but make it to your liking.

It was a perfect night with great company and most importantly - a happy Baba =)

Sundried Tomato Hummus
by Sarah Farsh May 12, 2012

  • 3 cups cooked chickpeas (unsalted can beans are fine too)
  • 3 tbsp tahini paste
  • 5 tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 5 cloves garlic
  • 1 handful sundried tomatoes, more or less to taste
  • 1 tsp chili flakes (leave out if your a baby)
  • *You can add a little bit of the beans soaking liquid if you like a smoother consistency.
In a VitaMix or high powered blender, blend all ingredients until smooth. Add in the soaking liquid or water from the beans, little by little, if you like a smoother consisting. Garnish with fresh cilantro and chickpeas.

Grilled Vegetable Salad
by Sarah Farsh May 12, 2012
  • 4 assorted color peppers (green, yellow, orange and red)
  • 2 eggplants
  • 2 red onions
  • 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
  • 4-5 lemons, juiced
  • pepper to taste, salt optional.
Grill peppers, eggplants and onions whole on a barbecue. You can also broil the whole vegetables in your oven if you don't have a barbecue. Grill until skin gets dark, as shown in photo. Let veggies cool. Peel skin of barbecued veggies with hands and then rise under cold water. Cube the cooked veggies and place in a large salad bowl. Add cilantro, lemon juice and pepper. Toss together well and enjoy! This salad also taste great made ahead of time. 

Comments

Popular Posts