Black Beans, Brussels Sprouts Slaw and Mango Salsa

For dinner, Zach and I were craving something hearty and wholesome after a full day of snowboarding. We both love black beans and rice, so we created a dinner around them.


I forgot to pack a bunch of my spices from home, so I had to improvise a little when it came to the beans. I used salsa and it worked out great. Just be selective when choosing your salsa, read the ingredients to make sure there is no sugar or other crap-ola inside it. Whole Foods Market sells a great salsa called Roasted Chipotle Salsa, it's their 365 Everyday Value brand. That's the salsa I used for my recipe.


For my brussels sprout slaw, I used a mandolin to shred the brussles. If you have a food processor, that would work just as well and take half the time.




The mango salsa was inspired by my aunt Rebecca's housekeeper, Connie. Connie makes by far the best fresh salsa I've ever had. Super crisp, fresh, extra spicy and lemony. I've tried to make her salsa time and time again and it never comes out as tastey. Since most of you haven't had Connie's salsa, you may think mine is the next best thing :)


Easy Black Beans
by Sarah Farsh March 8, 2012

3 cups dried black beans
1 cup good salsa
5 garlic cloves, chopped
3-4 cups water (depending on how much bean gravy you want)

Place all ingredients into pressure cooker and cook on medium heat for about 45min. Relese the steam out of your pressure cooker and cook on low heat for 15min. Serve with brown rice.

Brussles Sprout Slaw
By Sarah Farsh March 8, 2010

1 pound brussles sprouts, shredded
1 avocado
2 limes, juiced
4 garlic cloves
1/4 cup onion
1 tsp chili flakes
1 jalapeño (leave out if your a baby)
1/2 cup cilantro

In a VitaMix or high powered blender, blend together avocado, lime juice, garlic, onion, chili flakes, jalapinio and cilantro until smooth. In large bowl mix together avocado cream with brussles sprouts.

Mango Salsa
By Sarah Farsh March 8, 2010

1 mango, peeled and cubed
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
1/2 cup onion, diced
3 limes, juiced
2 tomatoes, diced
2 jalapeños, chopped (leave out if your a baby)
1 red pepper, seeded and chopped

In a large bowl combine all ingredients together and serve cooled.

Comments

Popular Posts